About Me

Saturday, December 10, 2016

My Second Family

So while I was in the shower, I was reflecting on my trashy life and thought, "Hey, how about I talk about how I have a second family?". So yeah, I have a second family and it's pretty cool. I sometimes feel like my second family is better than my actual family but that's only when I'm having a REALLY bad day.

As you all know, I'm in Taekwondo and I go to ATA American Taekwondo Association. ATA is kinda like a chain business except each school is ran differently. We all just have to learn the same things and be apart of all the things going on at ATA like the spring camp or tournaments. We are also one big family. Everyone in my TKD school are my siblings and my Instructors are my parents. Their instructors are my grandparents and so on. Other instructors are my aunts/ uncles and everyone from other schools are my cousins. I am a 4th or 5th generation. Our ranks also do not define us so we all are equal. So yeah, that's how I see it.

I always see tournaments as family reunions because I see all of my friends from far away. At tournaments, you're competing so you're enemies in the ring but best friends out of the ring. Girl even have this unwritten rule to hug before and after a sparring match. When we spar, we make sure we didn't hurt each other and when we drop a weapon, we cheer them on. When I went into the Black Belt ring or the first time, I was petrified. I dropped my weapon about five times and when I finished, they told me that I did great. We look out for each other.

At my school in Glenview, we are so close. I have a friend who is my best friend but my rival in the ring. It's so much fun. Some of us don't get along but it's more like a sibling hatred than an actual hatred. I'm like the big sis because I am the one who usually makes sure the younger ones behave when we're all working on our forms.

I really recommend taking classes at ATA. We all are there for each other when we fall and we make each other feel like a true family. It's ok if you feel like you will not do well because I'm a first degree black belt but I know brown belts who are more advanced than me. Taekwondo is about perseverance, discipline, goals, respect, courtesy, and confidence. As long as you remember those five things, you're good. A black belt is a white belt who never gave up. So yeah, we're there for each other. I would love to see some faces from school join ATA. I have learned so much from going to ATA so you all should totally join. Remember, Confidence, yes I can.    

6 comments:

  1. That's so cool! I have a second family of my own. And it's great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Who's your second family?

      Delete
    2. My best friends family. I'm practically her sister.

      Delete
    3. Cool. Acacia is like a sister to my actual family because she always comes over. My dogs go CRAZY over people who don't live at my house but they've seen Acacia here so many times to the point were they greet her the same way as they greet me.

      Delete
    4. Omg same! My dogs bark like they're being murderd

      Delete
    5. lol. One of my dogs, Teddy, yawns like Chewbacca.

      Delete