About Me

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

It's Complicated- A Story of A Complicated Friendship

If friendships could be described with the Facebook relationship status options, 99% of my online friendships would be complicated. Though, all but one of them is just because I don't know how to hold a conversation without sounding like an annoying gremlin, sounding more emotionless than Widowmaker, or send a picture of a baby alligator into the chat. I do have one friendship that is complicated, just like in a relationship way. Though we aren't dating, that'll be weird.

A few weeks ago, I met this guy on Instagram. He replied to my story after I posted a pic of the leaning tower of Niles since I was explaining what the only cool thing in Illinois is. We began bonding about Illinois because he also lives in Illinois. My friend said that he lives about three hours away from Chicago so he's not to far. And just to be clear, I didn't tell him my exact location or anything like that, I still have common sense.

So my friend and I decided to Skype each other while I finished my essay on Nazi Hunters. We began talking about school and how I try to be on my best behavior while my friend told me about how his teachers hated him. Also, I'm going to address my friend as Hanzo for the rest of this because he ran a Hanzo roleplaying account. We don't know each other's names. So Hanzo was explaining to me about how he was a horrible student That's really Ironic because the actual Hanzo Shimada is so serious and very studious. After a few minutes, we began talking about how kids at my school shouldn't care about relationships cause we're still smol gremlins. That conversation led to Hanzo talking about how he'll 'discipline' his child/ren. That's what made our friendship complicated.

Hanzo believed that the way to discipline a teenager is to hit them. I got pretty mad at his opinion because disciplining anyone should never use physical violence. I mean, I guess I could understand the occasional butt slapping when you're a little kid, but slapping a teenager is just abuse. Hanzo kept going on and on that if he found out that his child had been doing inappropriate things, he would pretty much beat them. He wanted to make sure his kid never did anything wrong.

I became furious. A teen is always going to make a stupid decision. That is something that no one can avoid. I believe that the way to discipline a teen if they've been doing inappropriate things is to take away their privileges. Don't allow them to see their boy/girlfriend for awhile. Take away their devices and replace that with working on school stuff. From what I can assume, when a teen is caught of in a "serious relationship", they're most likely not getting the grades that they should be. Honestly, it's disciplining the teen while befitting them. Heck, you can also teach them how to do important life skills at this time since they're not occupied with social media and will most likely do what they can to get their privileges back. Hurting your child physically and/or emotionally is no way to discipline a child, it only makes them fear you and possibly their life decisions.

I ended the Skype call right in the middle of his rant. I admit, that was rude but I just couldn't stand to hear what he had to say. What if he had a daughter who accidentally got pregnant at 16? I'd be mad but I'll at least comfort her and help her. I wont make her feel horrible because she'd probably be devastated enough.

After I hung up, we bickered for a couple of moment in the chat before I just left him on read. He tried to DM me but I ignored him. We haven't talked in a few days, and I don't want to talk to him.


3 comments:

  1. I agree, hitting a kid out of discipline isn't right. Are you ever goning to text him again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually texted last night, though we will probably not be talking for another week or two. And hopefully, our time apart is letting him think over his choices.

      Delete
  2. I think you were wise to stop a conversation that made you uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete